[meteorite-list] Natiional Forest Rules

From: Raremeteorites <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 12:47:05 -0700

I had a List member comment that a forest service ranger told him it was ok
to collect meteorites. I double-checked to see if the rules have changed
and the answer seems to still be, NO. This also means that most meteorites
found of dry lake beds are off-limits to be sold since most are on federal
land which now has very limited use by the public due to so many new
regulations.

The below questions and answers came directly from the BLM website:

"Can meteorites be casually collected from other Federal lands, such as the
National Forests or the National Parks?

No. This policy only applies to public lands administered by the BLM under
its agency authorities. Casual collecting is not allowed on lands
administered and controlled by the National Park Service, Bureau of
Reclamation, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service."

"Can meteorites casually collected from public lands be bartered or sold?

Casual collection of meteorites from public lands is only for an
individual's personal use. Sale or barter is considered commercial use. A
permit must be issued for commercial activities and fees will be collected,
including a purchase price based on a unit price or the percentage of fair
market value, and a reclamation fee, if required."

Information from BLM Frequently asked questions about meteorites PDF.

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/wo/Information_Resources_Management/policy/im_attachments/2012.Par.65264.File.dat/IM2012-182_att1.pdf

Happy Hunting, I think I will go take a dip in a pool or head to the
Colorado River to cool down,

Adam