[meteorite-list] Natiional Forest Rules

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 23:31:23 +0000 (UTC)

Adam is right about National Forest rules not permitting meteorite collecting. And,
I'm not surprised that many of their forest service rangers are unaware of that fact and,
more importantly, among the rangers that I have spoken with, most don't really know
why it isn't permitted. It's weird, when I tell them the reason "why", they actually argue
with me saying that I "must be wrong, because that reason is insane."
Well, enough about that insanity.

I just wanted to point that while Adam is right, that most dry-lakes are on public lands,
not all are. There are many on other kinds of properties. And those on military bases
are obviously out of the jurisdiction of the BLM. Rest assured that if they can't make
any money off of the meteorite find, they could care less. So, if you have the rare opportunity
to acquire a meteorite from a dry-lake located on a military base, you can forget about
all this generalization about dry-lakes. None of the rules relating to public lands and the
BLM applies to these other dry-lakes.

Bob V.