[meteorite-list] Natiional Forest Rules

From: Raremeteorites <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 15:53:57 -0700

I think it is interesting how much regulations affect park usage.

I thought that I had stumbled onto a hidden treasure when observing a
beautiful park in Renton, Washington. It was rather large, had a beach on
Lake Washington, a dock, well-manicured landscaping and paved trails. I
could not figure out why nobody used it until I read signs everywhere
indicating, too numerous to count, regulations.

In the parking lot, there was a sign that read:
* No loitering
* Do not leave valuables in car
* High prowl area

As you were entering the park, from what I can recall, another very large
sign read:
* No alcohol
* No glass
* No littering
* No barbecues
* No music
* No bicycling
* No running on the sidewalks
* No ball or Frisbee throwing
* No horseplay
* Keep off of the grass
* No pets
* Park promptly closes at dusk

...and about a dozen more rules that I cannot recall at the moment

I made it to the bathrooms and a sign simply stated:
* Closed
* No loitering

An finally I reached the dock and a sign stated:
* No fishing
* No lifeguard on duty
* No swimming

After seeing how many rules and regulations that were posted everywhere that
told you what you could not do, I realized why nobody used the park and it
remained in pristine condition. This park is in the same city where it is
illegal to drive around the same block twice due to cruising ordinances and
a friend of mine got a ticket for his grass growing too long since his
lawnmower broke.

They may as well have put up a sign that said, "GO HOME, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME
HERE, NO FUN ALLOWED!" I guess if you like to sit still, not twitch a
finger and meditate, this park would be perfect.

This is one of many reasons I moved away from Washington State other than
the rainy weather. Too many regulations and high taxes! No such thing as
"freewill"

At least for the time being, here in Nevada, most people still smile and
wave at one another. It will not be long before regulations burden us here
as well since more and more are coming online everyday.

Adam

* No yelling