[meteorite-list] Pot Coloring The Kettle Black

From: Raremeteorites <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 08:41:06 -0700

Anthropology is interesting from a cultural standpoint. In the meteorite
world, some outsiders look in and see self-congratulatory websites and posts
and ask what do they have to do with promoting meteorites instead of egos?
I tell them that some are attempting to sell the story along with the
meteorite. In some cases, the true story improves the value but in other
cases, it detracts. Who remembers the finder of "Sue the Dinosaur" or the
"Bahia Emerald?" In a single generation, the people involved have been
forgotten. Nobody will remember "FMMH PR 2081" , "Sue the Dinosaur's"
formal designation.

It is customary for realtors to post a single image of themselves in
advertising so their clients get a feel for what the person looks like.
Michael Blood, similarly accomplishes the same thing with the Meteorite
Friends page.

Happy Fathers Day, I am heading out to brunch to enjoy the occasion with my
wife and family here in very hot Laughlin, NV. It is going to be getting
into the 120's later this week so I do not see any field time forthcoming
anytime soon.

Adam