[meteorite-list] Meteorite Crashes Through Thailand House Roof

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:40:52 -0600

There's really no way for such a stone to be heated significantly by the
energy dissipated when crashing through a roof.

In all likelihood, the reason that observed falls are reported as hot is
because people expect hot, and confuse hot with cold. I don't think the
incidence of reports of heat is significantly higher for hammers than
for other falls.

FWIW, when you pull a nail the mass of the nail is very small, it has a
high surface area compared with its volume, it's thermally conductive,
the extraction is relatively slow, and the friction is very high.
Contrast that with a meteorite: much smaller surface area compared with
volume, low thermal conductivity, very high speed of impact, and very
little friction (with most of the surface never even contacting the roof).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com