[meteorite-list] Hot vs. Cold again...

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:48:18 -0600

Also important is to consider that the body in space may well have been
a good fraction of a meter (or more) across. But a meteorite producing
body didn't just ablate, it most likely fragments. And the small
fragments very, very rapidly drop below the speed necessary to sustain
ablation. So what we have left is fragments that are probably a bit
below freezing being blasted for several minutes with very cold air.
Small fragments means not much volume, but lots of surface area, so the
heat transfer is pretty efficient.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where a meteorite is warm on landing.
The interior will be cold, and the outer few millimeters might be near
ambient, simply because of the warmer air encountered over the last
minute or so of dark flight. But within a minute I'd expect the outside
to get colder again because of transfer to the cold interior.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com