[meteorite-list] Bright Meteor East of Halifax, Canada

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 23:45:03 +0000 (GMT)

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1375157-bright-meteor-races-across-sky-east-of-halifax

Bright meteor races across sky east of Halifax
JORDAN PARKER
Herald News
June 24, 2016

A bright, speeding light flashed through the sky along the Eastern Shore
near Halifax late Thursday.

Some residents from Eastern Passage through to Chezzetcook saw what appeared
to be a meteor race across the sky after 9 p.m.

"I looked out my window, and there was this huge meteor going across
the sky. It was the biggest one I'd ever seen," said West Chezzetcook
resident Scott Wolfe.

He spotted it around 9:30 p.m. and raced from one window to another to
get the best view.

"We got a great panoramic-type view (of it) across the Chezzetcook Harbour,"
he said.

"It definitely stuck around a while. I saw it for 10 or 15 seconds across
the sky."

He said it was a sight to see.

"There were pieces falling behind the thing. They would break off and
stay bright in the air," he said.

"It was pretty cool . . . I'd never really seen anything like it."

Wolfe called to his wife, Lenora, just in time.

"I had just enough leeway to get her attention, and she caught the last
bit," said Wolfe.

Twitter began to buzz around 9 p.m. Thursday about a sighting.

"I just observed a giant object on fire dropping from the sky," wrote
Twitter user _at_fussball_eh.

Twitter user _at_kennymahar said he saw it burn up as he sat in his living
room in Eastern Passage.

David Lane, director at the Saint Mary's University Burke-Gaffney Observatory,
didn't see the meteor, but saw and heard reports.

"This is a pretty regular occurrence, and they're totally random events.
They can happen every few days, but might come during the day, while it's
cloudy or late at night," he said.

'It was clear last night . . . and the perfect time. A lot of people
saw it."

>From social media reports, he said it was in the east, likely hundreds
of kilometres over the sea.

'But some people will say they saw it just over a hill, while a pilot
will say it flew over them. Our vision is skewed with them," he said.

"It's truly difficult to keep track when we are startled and amazed
by something so bright."