[meteorite-list] Captain's Log - Jeff Grossman(?)

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 01:48:40 -0400

Yes Kevin, didn't you get the memo? ;-) Jeff changed his email around August 2015 from USGS to NASA HQ.

See for yourself in this current pic from them:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/28766247430_774d3cdd42.jpg

I always thought Jeff wanted to retire and hunt meteorites, but he's apparently wanting to go after more virgin material, and so he's now off to the asteroid Bennu to get the "Big Prize". We wish him luck!

He's pretty good at it too so far, and you can see him all over NASA TV in the tradition of the Earthling meteorite hunters he left behind....

Funny, this evening I was exercising on the beach after a long day and was interrupted by rocket blasting off from the not so far away Cape. The pattern was corkscrew, btw. I came home and looked it up.... OH! OH! OH! OSIRIS!

Congratulations to the OSIRIS-REx team for getting their act together in what to me appears record time, this mission is the very same, exploration headed by Dante Lauretta, principal investigator at the University of Arizona, Tucson who many here know. In addition to Jeff, I believe Tim McCoy of the Smithsonian and several others will have a lot to say about how Jeff's "Big Prize" we anxiously await is handled. The asteroid isn't relatively far so it will all go down quickly!

https://www.nasa.gov/subject/6880/bennu/

Happy Hunting
Doug