[meteorite-list] acid for pallasite

From: John Cabassi <john_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 20:23:23 -0700

Francesco and All,
I understand where you're coming from. You have a pallasite slice/end
cut that apparently was not cut properly. By that I mean, the final
prep work so you have some moisture trapped inside the item which has
led to rust developing between the iron/nickel and the
olivine/peridot. The olivine/peridot has popped out but because it
has accumulated rust residue, it won't go back where it came from. I
suggest drying it out manually cleaning up the rust on the surface of
the olivine/peridot as well as cleaning up the actual socket (I
haven't used that one in a long time) that the olivine/peridot has
fallen out of.

I would not go to the point of acid. I would put on some glasses with
magnification, spend a little time slowly cleaning up both surfaces
and proceed with putting the jigsaw back together

Cheers
John