[meteorite-list] Daylight fireball, TX-OK 18 Apr 2017

From: Fries, Marc D. <marc.d.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 15:32:41 +0000

Howdy all

                There is a recent event in the AMS logs for a ~1 PM fireball. This event seems to have passed directly over DFW headed NE. It looks to me like the ground track was rather long, as reports from DFW spotted the fireball both SW and NE of DFW.

http://www.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/event/2017/1407

                There is an interesting radar return in the KSRX (Fort Smith, AR) 18:12 UTC radar data, in the 2.4 degree sweep. It is a very ?bright? reflection for a meteorite fall (if that is what it is), with a strong turbulence signature and a ?flat? spectral width* that are favorable for a meteorite fall interpretation. This return lies exactly along the ground track ID?d by eyewitnesses, just SW of the town of Hugo, OK. There are four other radar returns that might also be associated with this event, in that they line up along the AMS ground track. I will post information on the Galactic Analytics page on Facebook, along with maps.

                My read on this is ? the KSRX return outside Hugo is consistent with the fall of a small number of relatively large objects, of sufficient size to generate a strong turbulent wake in their path. I?m not sure about the other radar returns; they could just be random noise.

Cheers,
Marc Fries

*Spectral width is a measure of the range of object sizes in a given radar image pixel, and meteorite falls usually have low SW values of about the same value; or ?flat? SW values.