[meteorite-list] Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 179, Issue 19

From: Chauncey Walden <clwaldeniii_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 10:42:33 -0700

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 08:19:19 +0100
> From: PAOLO CONTE <progetto.andromeda at gmail.com>
> To: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
> Subject: [meteorite-list] Prehistoric Gibeon artifacts
>
> Hello Listers,
>
> I often read, about Gibeon, this meteorites was used by native tribes to
> make weapons, tools and jewelry, over the last 50,000 years.
>
> However, I have not been able to find *any photos* of these prehistoric
> Gibeon artifacts in Internet, or *even any research papers* mentioning
> these tools.
>
> It's very strange, but you can directly verify this fact on Google: no
> images, no scientific paper.
>
> So, my question: do these artifacts really exist? Where are they? Are there
> pictures of them? Does anyone know anything about it?
>
> I wrote several times to the museums of Windhoek, Namibia, but they never
> answered: really funny!
>
> I hope to receive some useful information from you.
>
> Many thanks for your kind attention.
>
> Best regards from Rome.
>
> Paolo Conte (IMCA #6037),
> Rome, Italy

Paolo,
I'm not sure that the ancient nomadic San people who inhabited the
desert area where Gibeon fell had anything to do with metal as they
really didn't need it in their culture. The Bantu peoples who came much
later to the fringes of the desert did have a metal knowledge and made
metal artifacts but where they got the metal may have been from sources
other than Gibeon. A Gibeon anvil may have been used by Bantus
relatively recently. Try searching on San (Bushman) metal artifacts but
I think you will have a long search.
Chauncey