[meteorite-list] Testing meteoric gemstones

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 14:14:20 -0700

Distinguishing between terrestrial olivine and pallasite olivine
probably isn't quick and easy. Electron microprobe would show the
difference in the Fe/Mn which is diagnostic. I've never used one, but
a handheld XRF might be able to do this too. If you don't mind
vaporizing the stone with a laser -- the oxygen isotopes are
diagnostic :) :) :)

Carl
*************************************
Carl B. Agee
President, Consortium for Materials Properties Research in Earth
Sciences (COMPRES)
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
MSC03 2050
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131-1126