[meteorite-list] Terrestrial Breccia Being Offered Up As Lunar// Fake KREEP

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 20:27:05 -0500

Worse yet, eBay has ZERO interest in combating fake meteorites and tektites.

A sizeable portion of the moldavite on eBay is obviously fake - not
even good fakes. They scream "FAKE!" from the minute you first see
them. And people keep buying them, and eBay keeps letting the sellers
list them.

Many members of the meteorite community, myself included, have
contacted eBay countless times to report fraudulent items and offer
advice on how to prevent fraud. At every turn, we were ignored or
rebuffed. In my opinion, eBay is an accessory to criminal acts by
knowingly allowing fraud to transpire in their marketplace so they can
collect fees and profit from the sales. For every buyer who demands a
refund, there are several who unknowingly treasure their fraudulent
specimen and are happy with it. So, eBay comes out ahead by looking
the other way.

When the Tiffany company confronted eBay about fake Tiffany items,
they threatened to sue and/or prosecute eBay if they didn't take
action. And to eBay's credit, they did take some action - but only
because they were faced with an old and powerful company with legions
of lawyers. The meteorite community has no such clout or power.

The scammers and thieves are doing this because they can. They know
eBay is a joke when it comes to security and fraud prevention. I blame
eBay more than the scammers. Scammers will always exist as long as
there is greed, and it is eBay's greed that allows their marketplace
to become a minefield of fakes.

That's my two cents. Actual worth will likely vary.