[meteorite-list] Terrestrial Breccia Being Offered Up As Lunar// Fake KREEP

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 18:50:29 -0800

It is unfortunate that fraudulent sales on eBay has consequences on the
rest of market. These days, most collectors, new to the market, start
on eBay where they acquire their first stone. Advanced collectors have
learned that one fake piece can jeopardize the standing of the rest of
their collections so demand proper documentation and provenance.
Unfortunately, these standards don't exist on eBay which has become a
clearing house for fakes.

I have filed a couple of NOCI forms with eBay and they did follow up
since plagiarizing copyrighted material like Meteoritical Bulletin
entries for an official meteorite to describe an unclassified stone is
not tolerable.

It makes me sad to see some IMCA members, who are also acting as
dealers, not upholding the strict standards put in place to protect
collectors. Code of Ethics rule number six is not being followed by
many who promised to uphold these standards as a part of becoming a member:

6. I agree that unclassified 'meteorites' that have not been verified
as meteorites might not be meteorites. I will not sell or trade any
meteorites or any questionable meteoritic material unless I first obtain
verification. I agree to specify verified but unclassified material as
such in connection with any sale, trade, or other transaction related to
the same. Meteoritical Society guidelines will prevail in the
circumstance of meteorite naming and pairing. I understand and agree
that, as a member, I may be required to provide further evidence to the
Board (or other relevant I.M.C.A. Committee), including but not limited
to: the verification process utilized for unclassified meteorites,
and/or documentation from an approved testing institution or approved
individual of the Board's choosing.

Adam