[meteorite-list] Quartz on meteorites

From: ALAN RUBIN <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 17:28:14 -0700

A few meteorites do contain rare grains of SiO2 including tridymite, quartz
and cristobalite, but generally these grains are quite small and intergrown
with other silicate phases. Some IVA irons contain a few blades of
trydimite, but if you see a rock with several percent or more of quartz
grains that are millimeter size or larger, it will not be a meteorite.

--
Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
e-mail: aerubin at ucla.edu
website: http://cosmochemists.igpp.ucla.edu/Rubin.html