[meteorite-list] worst misidentification ever

From: Paul <etchplain_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 20:38:38 -0600

In " worst misidentification ever,"
Alfredo Petrov wrote on Tue, 23 Jan 2018,

> This has got to be the worst, and funniest, in a schadenfreude sort
of way,
> hoped-to-be-a-meteorite ever:

https://www.indiatimes.com/news/india/gurugram-residents-store-poop-falling-from-aircraft-in-fridge-thinking-that-it-s-a-rare-mineral-338089.html

I am nominating for second or third worst misidentification of some
obviously man-made glass as a Chinese impactite, the "Shui jing glass"
featured in the below youtube videos.

Exploring the mysteries of China's unique natural glass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmzTXfwf9yA

Hongshan Culture & the mystery of China's unique natural glass2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6s9mWh7Xw

Hongshan Culture & the mystery of China's unique natural glass2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2CYggCtfFM

This material reminds me of the tables covered with varicolored
glass blocks that I saw out in front of Arkansas rocks shops when
I went fossil and rock collecting decades ago.

There is the below abstract:

A crackpot ejection theory about China's unique natural glass
Endocrine Abstracts (2015) 38 SE1.4 DOI:10.1530/endoabs.38.SE1.4
(Society for Endocrinology, British Endocrine Societies)
http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0038/ea0038SE1.4.htm

"I shall present evidence from the carvings that points to a
unique post-impact lateral ejection of molten glass; and
that this was later carved by grinding using impact diamond
sand."

Yours,

Paul H.