[meteorite-list] Seismic Event w/ Bolide?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:03:48 -0700

It's not uncommon for large fireballs to produce seismic signatures.
They're created by atmospheric shock waves hitting the ground. The
bodies themselves are nowhere near large enough to reach the ground
intact, so all that kinetic energy never results in cratering. ("Never"
as in "only every few hundred or thousand years".)

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com