[meteorite-list] Seismic Event w/ Bolide?

From: Matson, Rob D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 17:45:06 +0000

Hi Greg ? Chris Peterson summed it up nicely. I would venture to guess that bolides that
lead to meteorites on the ground more often than not generate detectable seismic
(i.e. acoustic) signatures. Of the U.S. recovered falls since 2010, at the times those
events occurred I found seismic evidence for Lorton (2 stations), Mifflin, Battle
Mountain, Creston (4 stations), Osceola, and Dishchii?bikoh (4 stations). (I?m sure
the Novato, CA, fall also led to seismic returns on many stations, but I never
analyzed seismic on that event ? probably should do so for completelness.) The
Wolcott, CT, event on April 19, 2013, also produced a sonic boom signature but
no meteorites were ever recovered. There have probably been close to a dozen
other bolides in recent years that I found on seismic, but meteorites weren?t
recovered. --Rob