[meteorite-list] Park Forest Strewnfield Limits

From: bill kies <parkforestmet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2019 03:17:57 +0000

I've mentioned the 40g PF that was recovered in Chicago Heights but never really asked for opinions pertaining to the feasibility of it having actually dropped there as part of the fall.

It was recovered by a gentleman in the parking lot of a thrift store located at 2515 Chicago Rd, Chicago Heights, IL. This guy didn't know all that much about meteorites but his collection method was sound enough.

All the material he found was bagged and tagged with the address of each individual location he searched. This is why there is no doubt as to where the 40g specimen was found. He had 22 separate bags of material which he asked me to go through. He had no idea if any of it was Park Forest. I still have all of it in a box somewhere but the 40g rock was the only meteorite.

So what do you think? Was it found in situ or did it hitch a ride?