[meteorite-list] Admire spherules

From: Zelimir Gabelica <zelimir.gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 22:22:00 +0100 (CET)

Hi Randy and all,

How about the hypothesis that such Fe-rich (?) metallic spherules (from terrestrial origin) are formed through reduction of metallic magma by carbon stemming from very old deposits of shales and coals, as e.g. found in Greenland and elsewhere.

See this abstract (about DIsko Island Fe-rich deposits in Greenland) where analyses of selected siderophile elemental ratios had demonstrated that a meteoritic origin for the metallic iron must be excluded.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00389387

See also this series of images of metallic spheruls from other origins and compare:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=little+natural+metallic+spherules&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5jozXmcvgAhXNyKQKHWotBREQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1536&bih=792

I am not expert, just curious, as such spherules could be easily found upon panning gold in various rivers...

Zelimir