[meteorite-list] relationship between CV and CK

From: Dustin Dickens <dustin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 10:08:35 -0700

Hello dear meteorite mavericks and mavens,

It has been a while since I have posted to the list. I needed to test
to see if my account was working before I posted an ad, but thought
why waste the electrons and decided to test it with a topic I have
been intrigued with lately; the relationship of the CK to the CV
carbonaceous chondrites.

Is anyone currently working on this? I would enjoy learning what
direction you think the latest data / research is pointing. Based on a
recent 2016 paper, see ref below, what I had thought was a relatively
well established isotopic relationship between the CV and CK
chondrites, pegging them to the same parent body, now seems to be in
question.

This paper raises significant issues with magnetite compositional
differences in the unequilibrated CK and the CV, as well as "Oxygen
fugacities and temperatures in the CV-ox - CK". This seems difficult
to reconcile with some of the previous research I have read on this
topic. I am hoping others might be interested in learning more about
this, and discussing it a bit.

"Magnetite in the unequilibrated CK chondrites: Implications for
metamorphism and new insights into the relationship between the CV and
CK chondrites Tasha L. DUNN1*, Juliane GROSS2,3, Marina A. IVANOVA4 ,
Simone E. RUNYON5 , and Andrea M. BRUCK6" Meteoritics & Planetary
Science 1?20 (2016) doi: 10.1111/maps.12691

https://geology.rutgers.edu/images/Dunn_et_al-2016-Meteoritics__Planetary_Science.pdf

Kindest regards,

Dustin Dickens
TOP Meteorite