[meteorite-list] Educational presentations at Tucson?

From: Michael Farmer <mike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 20:16:53 -0700

The main problem is that the dealers are all tied up. I live in Tucson and the show is a time where I don?t have a spare second for about 5 weeks.
I make a large chunk of my yearly income from the Tucson show. It?s a work time for me. Most collectors and buyers come to Tucson with a couple of days. In that time it?s impossible to see the show. The Tucson show itself is massive. Covers venues all over the city tens of miles apart. There just no time to attend such an event during the show.

Michael Farmer

> On Mar 12, 2019, at 3:04 PM, MexicoDoug via Meteorite-list <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com> wrote:
>
> " I've not seen any proposals like this, but it's possible I have missed those threads. If so, I would appreciate hearing about any "lessons learned" from previous attempts."
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> Time at Tucson is at a premium, and the purpose of it is to get around and see what's there. Tucson is an exciting place and there is just too much to see. While some people may have the luxury of time on their hands, with the Internet at everyone's disposal, you'd have to design things to really be fun or interesting, IMO.
>
> We have had events at Tucson before so that is not at all true. Just not really a series of seminars and such. But we had Blood's auction and the Gold Basin Party, IMCA dinner, Parties organized by members of the community, and it is common for groups to get together for dinners for time to catch up with each other. What all these things had in common was that everyone was invited or can do them, they are fun, and they require no real time commitment. After all, we also have/had resources like Meteorite! a now defunct magazine, we have a world class online publication Meteorite-Times.com, the list for discussion where everyone chimes in, though Facebook seems to have taken some critical mass from that. By all means, go for it if you would like to be a force in the community doing this! Just don't be surprised if the response is attenuated due to all the competing things going on, after all ... being in Tucson during the show is a pretty hands on collecting, trading, swapping experience and that's mostly w
hy those from out of toown make the pilgrimage.