[meteorite-list] Fractional Classification of LL3's

From: jngrossman at gmail.com <jngrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 21:05:04 -0500

As it turns out, it is very easy to see if an OC is type 3.05-3.15. The exsolution of chromite from olivine in type II porphyritic chondrules can be seen in an optical microscope, with the aperture stopped down. It looks like this: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/get_original_photo.php?recno=5674513. See the little wormy lines? Subdividing these into 3.05, 3.10, and 3.15 does take some work, but you?d be safe classifying them as type 3.1 if this effect is visible.

If a meteorite has black opaque matrix, razor sharp chondrules, and you CAN?T see exsolution in any olivines, the meteorite bears closer inspection to see if it is extra special.

Jeff