[meteorite-list] Oh really?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 21:52:14 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all -

An Asteroid This Big Hadn?t Flown Close To Earth In A Century. Here?s How NASA Scientists Almost Missed It.

| | |

| |
An Asteroid This Big Hadn?t Flown Close To Earth In A Century. Here?s Ho...

"This one did sneak up on us," one NASA expert wrote in an internal email, two days after the football-field-siz...

"This story also says to me that we have to keep up our good work of calming down asteroid rhetoric - city-killers, nukes, etc. I will reach out as well.?
Oh yeah - can't have trying to find that pesky shit from space interfering with the money for the big boys' toys.
Well, most people living on this planet would rather you take care of the pressing business first.Note the need for new CCD's for ATLAS, and the NEOcam.
Bridenstine's number for city killers, 1 per 1,000 years, was about spot on, as near as I can make out.
Ed