[meteorite-list] Modern Burnishing

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 18:23:04 -0700

The photo of Haig shows concave depressions, not bulbous lumps. It?s not
good photo perspective.

The closest visual match to this stone would be something like Patos de
Minas (the octahedrite), but comparing a relatively fresh desert stone with
fusion crust ? to a fissured, decomposing iron from a much more wet climate
doesn?t make sense.

Consensus when this NWA surfaced on Facebook was that it was a broken
oriented stone, ?creatively? altered to disguise the damage.

Without a real forensic assessment, I would not feel at all comfortable
calling it natural. It may technically be ?art.? I don?t think the
bidders in these auctions know or care either way.

Jason