[meteorite-list] Meteoritical Bulletin Main Mass photos

From: Michael Farmer <mike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 15:24:03 +0000 (UTC)

Correct?

Sent from Smallbiz Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 12:03 AM, Michael Gilmer via Meteorite-list <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com> wrote:

HI Roberto,

I love ya man, but I gotta tear this post apart. LOL.

"Thankfully, we all have the freedom to choose where to post and engage with
> the community."

If Zuck had his way, we wouldn't have this freedom.

" I use Facebook. Facebook has features that email will never have
> (video, live feeds, pictures, etc)."

FB invented none of those things and does not have a monopoly (yet) on
any of them. There are plenty of other apps and venues that offer live
video, photos, etc. One can easily upload photos to a cloud account or
website and link to them on this List. One can easily host a live feed
on numerous streaming platforms and link to them here. That is how it
used to be done, before FB came along and sucked all the oxygen out of
the room.

For example, people would upload their Tucson or Ensisheim pics to
Photobucket, Flickr, or their website and then link them here. It just
involves a couple of extra clicks to bypass FB entirely for this
functionality.

'"I kind of cI kind of concur with the sentiment that this email list
is dead/dying. I
> love the daily MPoD vial email, but aside from that, this vehicle for
> sharing and engaging with others is antiquated and obsolete.oncur with the sentiment that this email list is dead/dying. I
> love the daily MPoD vial email, but aside from that, this vehicle for
> sharing and engaging with others is antiquated and obsolete."

Over the years, I have seen this list wax and wane with activity. I
hope it will recover from this recent dry spell. I would argue that
this list is not obsolete, just suffering from a case of widespread
psychosis that somehow Zuckerberg's playground is better than the
medium itself that created it.

"However, I am grateful that it is still available for those of us who cannot
> or will not change with the times. "

If the times are changing to an online world where Facebook, Amazon,
and Google control everything, then count me out. I'll fly my Luddite
flag proudly.

" I believe those members have valuable
> insight into meteorites and their history and I would sad to lose what could
> be gained from them because they cannot or choose not to grasp how to use
> Facebook or other social media platforms."

Indeed, it would be sad. And that is exactly what FB and Zuck are
trying to do - put venues like this out of business and gobble up
their audiences. Oh, I grasp FB and how to use it. And I have an
active presence on some non-Facebook platforms. My apparent beef is
not with social media itself, it is with Facebook and it's policies.
Ello and Mastodon are better than FB all day long and twice on
sundays.

"At the end of the day, some will move to Facebook and join the rest of us,
> while others will stay here (until the number of people that are left here
> is so small that it is really just an archive). "

I was the rest of us. When I first joined FB in early 2009, there was
exactly one large-ish meteorite group and just one or two other
dealers actively selling in other groups outside that one. We were
pretty lonely for a while and I was one of those people (like you)
singing the praises of social media and Facebook. Then everybody
started coming to FB and the List started getting quieter and quieter.
And FB started getting crazier and crazier, and then the algorithms
kicked in, and then Zuck took off his mask and showed his true colors.
You wanna roll with that guy, despite knowing what he's about?

Well, as long as Art keeps the lights turned on (so to speak), I am
going to try to help keep this List going. All of the content I used
to post on FB will now go here - new fall reports, met bull updates,
research links, articles, original essays, *links* to photos, etc.

Art > Zuckerberg.

Met-List > Facebook.

No matter what ends up happening, the above two statements will always
remain true, even if FB gobbles up the online world and this list
becomes the Ozymandias of meteorite discussion.

Best regards and stay safe!

MikeG

On 6/14/20, Roberto Vargas via Meteorite-list