Re: African falls

At 06:44 AM 12/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Two things:
>
>First, I am looking at two 100g fragments, one of Hamada du Draa and one of
>El Hammami. I can see many similar characteristics between both of them.
>When looking at just the weathering, there are clear differences, but I
>have seen examples of Gao showing equivalent differences but known to be
>the same from the same fall.
>
>On the other hand, since both of these falls are of the most common types
>of ordinary chondrites to fall, I can find many similar looking examples of
>each in my collection, some look-alikes dating even from the 1700's and
>1800's.

Metal veining has been reported in Hamada du Draa.  This is a fairly
unusual characteristic, especially in relatively unshocked chondrites
like this.  Can you see this feature in your specimen, and, if so, do
you see anything similar in El Hammami?

You are quite correct about weathering...  it depends strongly on
when the sample was collected, and how it was stored.

jeff