Re: A Harry Mcsween lecture, and life in a Martion meteorite.

Although this subject has been discussed for awhile I'd like to bring up
some rather 'non-scientific' questions I have!

> fes@UWYO.EDU wrote:
> This past Monday I attended a scientific talk given by Harry Mcsween, president of
> the Meteoritical Society ...
> ... report shows that the PAH's were added to the meteorite after it landed on Earth.

Is he suggesting that the sample was contaminated on entry to our
atmosphere, while resting on the ice, or during testing? Do most
terrestial rocks show this contamination as well?

> ... In order for this vapor to be formed the temperature of the surrounding rock
> has to be high, over 200 degrees F. This is way to high for life to survive.
> The actual fossils themselves are too small. They are right at
> the boundry of where biologic functions can occur. Now it must be said
> that bacteria found deep in the Earths crust can become
> dehydrated(shrink) and come close to this size, but this is rare.

I know this will sound a bit 'wacky' to all of you scientists but here
goes (I'm not a biologist!) ... Why do we expect 'supposed' life on
another planet to follow the exact same 'rules' that it does on earth,
when the planet's attributes are very different? Isn't it 'possible' ,
due to the different atmosphere, temperature, gravity, etc.., that life
could develop slightly differently? OK, enough of my 'x-file-ish'
rantings!

Best Reagrds, Art

Follow-Ups: References: