Re: A comment about the meteorite trade.

	Hi everybody. I just wanted to drop a note about the current
happenings in Brazil. From all accounts the story appears to be true,
although the absolute truth may be somewhat obscurred. This not intended
to point fingers, or trash names, but since we are all aware of what has
happened, perhaps we should look at in perspective.
	The meteorite trade has been growing in popularity over the past
few years, and seems to continue. To own a meteorite is special in it's
self, and I feel that is a good thing. Many collectors enjoy, appreciate,
and respect the meteorites they posses, and this too is a good thing. The
problem, as I see it, is those who reduce the wonder to possesion, and
money.
	Can meteorites be abused?
	I believe the answer is yes. It seems as though a good portion of
what is availible to collectors has some shady origins. For example, the
Albin Pallasite has been offered for sale in the past couple of years,
but it was never offically sold for this type of distribution. In fact
the new masses were recovered off of BLM land, and there by property of
the Smithsonian institution. It is unfortunate, in that, the people of
Wyoming will not get to see the meteorite on display here, as nobody is
willing to part with it, but it is all illegally sold. The state of
Wyoming is in the process of putting a stop to exporting of natural
objects out of the state, and stiff fines will be assesed on those who
do.  This is not to say those who have Albin will be fined, but any
objects removed after the bill is enacted, the removers will be held
accountable.
	It is an unfortunate thing that institutions have a hard time
obtaining specimens removed from their boundries(i.e. states and
countries) with out their knowledge. It then becomes an insult to the
institution when they have to search out their specimens, and be told you
have to pay to get it back. Needless to say it is frustrating.
	Legally obtained meteorites should be distributed, and enjoyed by
those who wish to purchase them, but the illegal trade should be
dicouraged. I am aware that there are people who don't care about this
formality, and those people can not be reached.
	What I am saying is that collectors who do care should question
where the meteorite came from. Trust is good, and if you can trust a
dealer, good, because there are many excellent dealers out there who deal
in fair and legal trade. Be wary of the "I can take care of you on the
side" deals for meteorites that seem too hard to get. For instance, I had
an offer for a piece of Howardite that was aside from a dealer's
main catalog stock. He did not tell me where it came from, but was intent
upon selling it. I did some checking, and found that about 70 grams were
unaccounted for, and seem to be missing. I just avoided the transaction,
and did not contact the dealer again.
	I am not trying to preach, just make a point. Illegaly obtained
metorites have far reaching consequences. They hurt alot of people, and
takes them away from those who can appreciate them the most. I say enjoy
collecting meteorites, as it is a wonderful hobby, but perhaps we can
check ourselves ensure that integrity is maintained.

Frank Stroik

Follow-Ups: References: