Frank STroik's Post of 2 JUly 1997

Like all of you, I am disgusted - and embarassed - by the recent
events in Brazil.  And Frank Stroik's post earlier today also
resonated, although one point he made troubles me.

Frank refers to the sale of Albin during the last few years and
suggests that some, if not all of it, came from federal land.  The
only substantial chunk of Albin that I know of that was offered to
the public was by Blaine Reed, a dealer that most of us know and
respect.  I remember Blaine telling me at the time that this new
material came from a 42- or 43-pound piece a farmer plowed up
on his land.  I asked Blaine again today about the origins of the
Albin and he reassured me that it was purchased directly from the
landowner.  Understandably, however, Blaine is concerned with the
implication that the material he sold came from public lands.
Unfortunately, Blain remains "low tech" and isn't on the internet.
In fairness then, I offered to post any reply he might like to
make.  He accepted.

Blaine Reed writes:

"Dear Mr. Stroik:  I just heard of your letter posted on the inter-
net, " a comment about the meteorite trade."  On the whole, I agree
completely with what you say. I make it a point to try and work
with museums and research institutions closely.  Anyway, in your
example -- Albin -- I need to know where your information on it
being from BLM land came from.  It is no secret that I am the
dealer who brought this 43 lb new piece to light a few years back.
We (my friend who excells at field recovery work and I) bought this
specimen in good faith from the landowner who reported plowing it
up in his field.  I believe we have a signed document stating this.
In fact, my friend spent several months looking for more pieces in that
same field.  If you have other information, please let me know.
Perhaps we were misled, which brings about the point that dealers
can be lied to regarding the origin of a new meteorite and often
have no way to prove or disprove it.  We are like anyone else: we
have no choice but to believe the person bringing the sample to us.
If I have been truly misled on this, I apologize to all involved.
Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about such cases."

I hope this helps air the issue.

Jim Kunetka
Austin, Texas