Re: B.Reed Responds - Albin [RE-POST in text]

James W. Kunetka wrote:

> [This is a response from Blaine Reed, who is not on the internet,
> to a July 2, 1997 post on this forum by Frank Stroik]

I've re-posted this previous email(07/03/97) for those who do not have
access to MS Word ... Art

The response I received from Mr. Stroik requires that I further clarify
the background of my recent sale of the Albin pallasite to the public.
I apologize to all receiving this with no interest, but it occurs to me
that this group is the perfect forum for an open discussion of concerns
to BOTH collectors and dealers of meteorites.  Further, I feel that a
public challenge requires a public response.

Mr. Stroik states as fact that the Albin meteorite I sold over the past
few years came from BLM (public) land.  But considering Mr. Stroik's
"evidence" -- various maps, information supplied by the Wyoming
Geological Survey and the "confident feeling" that all new specimens of
Albin must come from BLM land -- I don't find it to be evidence at all.
My guess is that he used the reported information on the original Albin
recovery of 1915 and came to the conclusion that the 1915 find was made
on public land.  Indeed, my colleague and I came to a similar
conclusion.   It would be careless however, to jump to the conclusion
that all new finds must be from the same immediate location.  And
indeed, to imply -- without facts or proof -- that the sale of all new
material is therefore illegal is slanderous.

The specimen I sold from 1995 to 1996 was found between 10 and 20 miles
from the original 1915 location.  This is not unusual, however.  Strewn
fields can easily be this large.  Allende is a good example: the strewn
field is nearly 30 miles long.  Pasamonte is another example: its strewn
field is 18 miles long.  I am not inclined to divulge the exact location
of where my specimen was found, although I could.  The reasons are
obvious, of course: the large number of new meteorite hunters into the
area would pretty much end any chance of finding new specimens through
field work.  Also, in this particular case, the landowner asked not to
have his property identified precisely to prevent a hoard of unwelcome
people on his land.  For these reasons, and others, dealers often can't
or won't reveal the source of their materials.

Interestingly, at this year's Tucson show, a dealer displayed a new,
six-pound specimen of Albin that was not from my original 43-pound
piece.

I realize that this response may not answer all of Mr. Stroik's
questions.  I remain fully convinced of my specimen's legality, now more
than ever, since there appears to be no "hard" evidence to think
otherwise.  The plough gouge  on the stone that nearly shattered one end
of the specimen is at least physical proof that supports the finder's
story .  And BLM land in the area is used for grazing, not for farming.

I assume that Mr. Stroik was acting in good faith when he challenged
(perhaps unknowingly) the source of the Albin I sold.  Unfortunately, it
was an unfounded challenge which both questions my integrity as well as
that of the many people who bought specimens of Albin from me.   I have
worked hard to develop the reputation I believe I have for honesty and
fairness.  Case closed.

On a final note, as far as "back-door" rarities are concerned, it has
been my experience that these things generally come in such small
quantities and are in such demand, that they rarely stay in inventory
long enough to be posted in a catalog.

Thanks to all of you for allowing to me to respond through this medium.

Blaine Reed

PS:  Mr. Stroik:  please call me so we can talk.  I believe I can
further allay your concerns and not take up space here.