Re: Micrometeorites

Thanks Joel, Doug, Jens, Geozay, Strikendip,

Thanks for response. A couple questions and comments. How do you subscribe to
"Meteorite and is it very technical?. I think the point brought up regarding
the relative purity ,as I took it, of snow was good. A 1" x 3" glass slide
seems like a fine way to obtain a specimin but you are sure narrowing your
chances down. Also I am not sure that roofing material is magnetic but I was
just on my roof the other day and saw lots of shingle pebbles in my gutter. I
am going to go up and grab a handful and see what happens with a strong
magnet. I have occasion to get on roofs now and then and will sample others
as well. This point may be valid but I just dont see it.

I agree with Joel that any tests need to be quantified by independent
sources. , but if you pull out ferrous material from roof rain runoff , and
assuming that it is not from the roof itself, how can it be anything other
than meteroritic? What other terrestial cause could there be?

Is there any way that I can purchase a copy of "Meteorite" that contained
this topic?  To close I just want to say that we should never take this
medium for granted. I posted a simple question one evening from outside
Chicago and got a reply from New Zealand the next morning or night, depending
on what side of the world you are from. Unbelievable!!  My daughter spent
three weeks in Australia and said the night skies were incredible. If I
remember correctly the Magellanic clouds should have almost poked her eyes
out.

Thanks all,
Glenn