A collectors journey to collecting

     I believe that all collectors ,whatever they collect,share a
broad psychological profile they bring a wide an absolutely
indistinguishable passion to the collecting of a wide variety
of objects.It starts as a romance,with all of romance's sense
of evanescence.
     Collectors have an overdeveloped sense of finding something
that is on the verge of being lost,something that is deserving of
their careful custodianship.
     For every collector who shares his excitement and pride in his
or her collection,there are ten or twenty people who can't help
themselves.
     They inevitably go about forming societies and issuing newsletters.
In fact ,I'd submit that a collector hasn't moved beyond the stage
of being a mere hoarder,until he or she seeks out others with the
same interest.The truest collectors also collects fellow travellers.
    At about the same stage in a collector's evolution,he starts
trying to go beyond the object itself,to try to understand the time
and circumstances that produced it. I firmly believe that the seed
has to be on fertile soil and believe collecting can be nutured.
    In a sense its the object that collects us,and not the other way
around.
    The same meteorites that we collect today,in the future, they will
be rediscovered with the same enthusiam.We are just short term
keepers,its the meteorites that will pass through time, as they
already have for millions, even billions of years.Why are people
drawn into collecting meteorites? I'm sure everyone has a story to
tell.I sure would like to hear someones story,perhaps someone
would like to share one with all of us.

A collector at heart,
Tim Heitz
http://home.stlnet.com/~easytim