Re: Prices of Meteorites vs Gold vs Diamonds

Ron Baalke wrote:
>  Someone inquired about the prices of gold compared with meteorites.  I found a very good reference on the NEMS home page:
http://www.meteorlab.com/pricing.htm
Assuming a price of $400 per troy ounce for gold, this comes out to
$12.86/gram.  A good grade diamond will run $25,000/gram to
$30,000/gram..So the rarer type meteorites cost more per gram than
gold.  I've never seen any meteorites being sold for the same price as
diamonds, but with the price inflation of SNC's in the past year, the
ultra-rare Chassigny meteorite may possibly approach it..
 Ron Baalke
Dear Ron,
	I don't know if anyone has "paid" it, but I am told Bethany Science is
asking $100,000 per gram for Chassigny! (I bet someone has) - I am also
told the same source is ASKING $50,000g for Nakhla, $30,000g for
Shergotty, & $10,000g for Zagami.
NOTE: This is technically "hear say" and based on information several
months old.
	Another point of interest, many of you may already know: Diamonds (of
even very high quality) are NOT nearly as "rare" as is sometimes assumed
- they are one of the most highly CONTROLLED substances, however. The
SNCs and MANY other meteorites that can be had for 2 digits are far more
scarce. However, supply is only 1/2 the formula dictating price. Very
few people buy their fiance a meteorite engagement ring.
	Best wishes, Michael