Re: A collectors journey to collecting

I read your message with interest, and not a little self
satisfaction..........we live in the midst of the Correo fall - in the middle
of the Laguna Pueblo reservation, about 35 miles west of Albuquerque.

We love searching, 'cause we find lots of things, not just
meteorites.(Anasazi relics) The search for meteorites is mostly fun, unless
you're dumb enough to go in the wind, heat, dust, cold, rain (not much here)
and such.  Of course, we never do that.

We found out about what lies in the sand around us by a fortunate encounter
over 10 years ago - two meteorite hunters were parked on one of the dirt
roads that come into this area, and since that was a novelty back then, we
stopped and chatted for a while.  They came to the house for coffee, or tea,
or something, and it was the beginning of our glimpse into the wondrous world
of meteorites, a la Steve Schoner.  His explanations, examples and specimens
carried us away, fascinated us and inspired us to try to find some of our
own.

Well, if you've ever searched the desert sand for a stony iron, you'll
appreciate the mental picture I still have of the bag full of rocks that I
eagerly brought to Steve asking if any one of them might be a meteorite.  I
can see him taking them, one by one, dropping them into the sand and saying
"basalt.......basalt............basalt...........basalt"     I couldn't
believe it!  All were meteor-wrongs!    It took a long time for us to find
our first meteor-rights, and we still remember the spot where we found each
one.

We've found many Correos, and long to find just one Suwanee Spring, which is
right near here, too.

 Steve was the first of many hunters to stop in here, and all are good
friends, gracious people and inevitably interesting characters.  I love
watching the messages on this list - Go hunting!  When you pick up that
object from space, & you are the first person to hold it, it's quite a
sensation - like no other.

Good hunting!

Linda