Re: Ibitira

	I have noticed the sudden intrest in Ibitira, since it has become
availible to collectors. I have spent a couple of days looking at past
papers on Ibitira that span 20 yrs. I will sum up this information, and
try to give exactly what is known about it right now. I am sure that it
will change in the next few months.
	Ibitira is a vesiculated basaltic meteorite(eucrite). The
uniqueness is due to the little holes found in the matrix, and it's
unbrecciated texture.It records what the very first volcanic episodes
must have been like in the early Solar System.
	Lets look at the vesicles, and possible origin for a moment. The
Vesicles were formed as the basalt flow went from a high pressure
interior to a low pressure enviroment(surface) (Mckinnon 1993). Ibitira
never reached the surface of the parent body it came from. This known
from the fact that at the absolute surface, the vesicles would have been
removed completely due to a rapid cooling of the lava. Instead if it were
below a certain limit, vesicles would be preserved due to slower
cooling(Wilkening and Anders 1975). The depth of the lava flow was
between 2.5 meters, and 20 meters, with Ibitira at the bottom
100-150cm(Wilkening and Anders 1975).
	Ibitira shows a strong shocking event. This indicated by the
presence of cracks in the pyroxenes of the meteorite(Steele and Smith 1976)
However, it was not brecciated. It is difficult to constrain anything on
the shock, and metamorphic history of the meteorite. It just leaves more
questions than answers, it seems from the literature.
	Now, where did it come from? A 4Vesta type asteroid seems to be
the best fit. This is based on reflectance spectra data, and oxygen isotopes.
Much data was gathered, and it all seems to coincide with the hypothesis
of a 4Vesta asteroid type origin.
	The reflectance data for minerals in eucrites, and 4vesta type
asteroids are almost a perfect match. McKinnon (1993) discusses this in
more detail. In any case, Ibitira matches just as well as any other
eucrite, to a 4Vesta type asteroid.
	Oxygen isotopes in Ibitira, match well with other eucrites(almost
exactly). I am looking at a chart from Clayton and Mayeda (1983),that
shows the result of oxygen istope study of eucrties,SNC's, and
terrestrial basalts. When the compostion of all these rocks(meteorites)
are plotted on a graph, they each make up a distinct little cluster.
Eucrites (Ibitira), have the lowest oxygen isotope ratio's, as compared
with other solar system basalts.
	I think based on previous literature, Ibitira is a Eucrite derived
from a 4Vesta type asteroid. I know now that it is under revision, but I
doubt the relationships thus far noticed will change appreciably. I am
curious as to who is doing the reclassification;can anyone tell me?
	Well I just wanted to take some time to throw that in.Maybe it
cleared something up, or perhaps created more confusion. If you have a
question let me know, as always, I will answer it.

Frank Stroik
University of Wyoming