Re: Misleading statements and the responsibility of Meteorite dealers.

Frank Stroik writes:
>	I am troubled by what I am reading in dealer catalogs, listings,
>and webpages. I see a lot of inaccuracies, and half truths in
>descriptions of meteorites. This is a touchy subject, but one that needs
>to be addressed.

>	The Martian meteorite fiasco is still a bitter pill to be
>swallowed by all collectors.ALH84001is not related to the true SNC's by
>any way that would justify the outrageous prices asked by people. You
>see, the main group SNC's are all crustal rocks, formed at some depth in
>the Martian crust.

I've alwarys considered this to be a demand and supply issue.
Everyone wanted a Mars meteorite after that NASA press conference last
August.  From my point of view, the dramatic price increase in the
SNC's was a double-edged sword.  Since I already had several SNC's in
my collection, the value of my collection went up.  On the other hand, it
became extremely difficult and expensive to obtain additional Mars meteorites.

>These never experienced water alteration, and their
>formation temperature is too high to harbor life. ALH84001 is a surface
>rock that experienced low temperature water alteration, that may have
>been a catalyst to the presence of microscopic organisims. This
>experience is unique, and never been experienced by Zagami, Shergotty,
>Nahkla, and Chassigny.

True, no one said that the possible life in ALH84001 also existed in
the other SNC's. However, some British researchers found possible evidence
of life in EETA 79001, a shergotite.  If there is life in EETA 79001, then
you can make a more definitive connection to the other shergotites such as
Zagami and Shergotty.