Nova meteorites

The designation 'Nova' is given to meteorites whose place of origin cannot
be determined.  This is more than an inconvenience, it can place some
significant impediments and at least major inconveniences, into the process
of research.

It is a matter of public record that the main mass of Nova 001 was held by
Ron Farrell, Bethany Meteorites, after arrival in the U.S.  (Meteoritics,
v.28 #1, 3/1993, p150; and v.29 #6, 11/1994, p843).

I believe that the uncertain origin of Nova 002 was of the same cause, and
don't know about Nova 003.

The two Meteoritics articles, and the postings to this list, are very
reluctant to place any blame, point any fingers, etc.; these days one can
find defamation suits placed for any hint of a cause.  I certainly don't
place the education of newcomers to the field so high that I am willing to
risk being sued.  So, I'll just avoid the issue by saying that there is no
doubt that many or almost all of the veiled references on this list to
problems are all referring to the same dealer.  It is a shame that
beginners cannot be openly warned of the hazards.
Peter Abrahams   telscope@europa.com
the history of the telescope, the microscope,
    and the prism binocular