Meteorite! article

Thank you Michael, for you kind words.  I have yet to see the latest
issue of M! since the mail here in Idaho seems a little slower than
the rest of the country.

I hope others share your appreciation for the reviews, however, I am
anticipating some negative responses.  Both for my choice of content,
and my omissions (both intentional and otherwise).

One observation I made while working on the review is how large the
communication difference is between those online and those not.  Our
meteorite discussions and postings are creating a subculture that
ebbs and flows around certain issues.  Our words are "published"
instantly, and replies come in minutes rather than months or years.
Those who are not part of this subculture go along unaware of many
issues until they hit the printed medium.

We become intamate with Mt. Tazerzait, Sikhote-Alin, Cape York,
Orgueil, Zagami, Murchision, Allende, Gao, and many others while
those not online wait for the next mailing or catalog on which to
base their views and collecting needs. Those who read the books are
left with Nortons's Rocks from Space as the latest word on
meteorites.  And even that book is several years out of date.  While
we all wait with baited breath for Phil Bagnal's upcoming second
edition, I'm sure much more will be shared, questioned, wondered, and
speculated upon through the quiet clicks of our collective keyboard.

505 years ago, the town of Ensisheim made history, not only for
receiving a gift from space, but also for changing the way humanity
communicates about meteorites. Now we are making history. It's been
wonderful, and may it continue.

Martin.