Re: Desiccant

Martin, thought your commentary was very interesting & look foreward to
hearing responses. However, I have another issue I am hoping someone on
the list can help with.
	There was an interesting article in METEORITE! a couple of issues back
regarding the use of a desiccant to dramatically slow any weathering of
specimens. However, I read later that some of the popular desiccants
available contain some chemical properties
that would actually CONTRIBUTE to weathering.
	I live in San Diego & though the humidity here is bad enough, it is
much worse in the South U.S., parts of Mexico & Central America.
	I have a customer in South America who bought a very fine Allende
specimen (NOT noted for rapid weathering) which has begun weathering in
just a couple of weeks in the high humidity of Panama. I have an
Entomology catalog which offers "Silica Gel" & "Indicating Silica Gel"
(the type that changes from blue to pink as it becomes saturated - then
can be "dried out in a low temp. oven) Does anyone know if Silica Gel is
one of the offenders, or if "Indicating" silica gel is likely to
promote, rather than discourage the weathering process? Unfortunately,
the sellers do NOT list "ingredients." Input would be appreciated.
	Thanks, Michael