Re: Eucrites question

I think most scientists agree that all meteorites in the HED group
(howardites, eucrites and diogenites) all originate from Vesta, based
on matching spectra data.  There are actually about 20 asteroids whose
spectra match the HED group.  Of these 20, Vesta is by far the largest,
with most of the others in the 1km size range.  Since all 20 these asteroids
have very similar orbits, the smaller asteroids are obviously
pieces broken off of the largest body, Vesta.  So, Vesta is thought
to be the parent body of all HED meteorites.  I think there are a few
exceptions, but I don't know the specific meteorites.

Ron Baalke