Re: Meteorite Classification

Here is what I think is a better classification of meteorites,
mostly off the top of my head, but reflecting the views of
many current researchers.

Excuse me if I forgot anything.  There are lots of oddballs.

jeff
Chondrites
                                       Group   Pet types known
            Carbonaceous
                    Ivuna-type          CI         1
                    Mighei-type         CM         1-2
                    Ornans-type         CO         3.0-3.7
                    Vigarano-type       CV         3
                    Renazzo-type        CR         2
                    Karoonda-type       CK         3-6
                    ALH85085-type       CH         3?
                    Ungrouped           many individuals

             Probably related to carbonaceous
                    Kakangari-type      K          3

             Enstatite
                    High-iron group     EH         3-5
                    Low-iron group      EL         3-6

             Ordinary
                    High-iron group     H          3.2-3.9,4-7
                    Low-iron group      L          3.1-3.9,4-7
                    Low-iron, low-metal LL         3.0-3.9,4-7

             Probably related to ordinary
                   Rumuruti-type        R          3-6

             Ungrouped

Achondrites
             Primitive (from undifferentiated bodies)
                   Angrites
                   Acapulcoites
                   Brachinites
                   Lodranites
                   Ungrouped (e.g., the E-chondrite melt rocks,
                              Ilafegh 009 and Happy Canyon)

             Aubrites (enstatite achondrites)

             Ureilites

             HED group (Vesta meteorites?)
                   Eucrites (basalt)
                        [various subdivision schemes]
                   Diogenites (cumulates)
                   Howardites (breccias)

             Martian meteorites
                   Shergottites (basalt)
                   Nakhlites (CPX-rich cumulate)
                   Chassignite (dunite)
                   ALH84001 (OPX-rich cumulate)

             Lunar meteorites
                   Basaltic breccias
                   Anorthositic breccias
                   Gabbros

Metal-rich meteorites
             Mesosiderites
                   [various subdivision schemes]
             Pallasites
                   Main group
                   Eagle Station group
                   "pyroxene"
             Ungrouped
                   (Bencubbin, Weatherford, Steinbach, etc.)

Iron meteorites
             Magmatic (cores) [this distinction is not
                       universally accepted]
                   IIAB group
                   IIC group
                   IID group
                   IIF group
                   IIIAB group
                   IIIE group
                   IIIF group
                   IVA group
                   IVB group
             Non-magmatic [this distinction is not universally
                           accepted]
                   IAB group
                   IIE group
                   IIICD group