Re: Meteorite Classification

Hello Jeff,

Thank you very much for the classification list.

I do have a couple of questions.  First, regarding the following entry:

>Achondrites
>             Primitive (from undifferentiated bodies)
>                   Angrites
>                   Acapulcoites
>                   Brachinites
>                   Lodranites
>                   Ungrouped (e.g., the E-chondrite melt rocks,
>                              Ilafegh 009 and Happy Canyon)

What's going on with the "Ungrouped (e.g., the E-chondrite melt rocks,...)
where a specimen such as Happy Canyon can be both listed as a chondrite and
as a primitive achondrite? Is the classification scheme be breaking down
here?

Also, I know we (some members of this list) have discussed the concept of a
primitive meteorite before, but that chat was centered mostly on the nature
of carbonaceous chondrites.  How does the term "primitive" apply to
achondrites, or in other words, what makes an achondrite a primitive one?

Sincerely,

Martin