Re: Columbianites

Dear MARSROX:

I think your question desires more of an answer than a flat no.
Columbianites, Americanites, Saphorites, (and a host of other names for
them)
are found in South America and North America. They have the pitting and
spallation features often seen on tektites and some are layered similar to
moung nong and also pitted. Since they are found and sold near where they
are found in the US southwest they are not explained by a volcano in SA. It
is true that they have more molecular water than most tektites but so does
LDG which is looking more like impactite, and there is a range of water in
tektites also. Some are not near as dry as others. These do have less water
than obsidians.
I think many of us have questions about whether they are volcanic or impact
related, and some of
us are keeping an open mind a while longer until something definitive is
said about all these lilac glasses.