Re: Lyrid Meteor Shower Reminder

Hello Bernd and Hello list,

Bernd wrote:

Although shower meteors move in parallel orbits, they seem to ‘radiate’
from one point in the sky, or vice versa, if you follow their tracks in
the sky backwards, they seem to converge on a certain point in the sky
as a consequence of perspective. Remember railroad tracks (seemingly)
converging on a distant point. "

Most of us probably remember the railroad track example  with regard to
perspective and parallel lines, so I have no question about the
appearance of radiance.  My problem is with the major premise, that
shower meteors move in parallel orbits.  Are you saying that  shower
meteors always move in concentric or parallel eliptical orbits?  It
would seem that the dynamics of parallel orbiting would only come into
play the closer to the observer's planet they are?  Surely they do not
travel parallel to each other until they are locked into an orbit around
a body.   Is this a fair assumption?   I'm just trying to get a picture
of how meteor showers start.  I'm pretty sure they don't start out
parallel, so it must be the gravitional pull of a body they approach.
But then the word orbit seems misleading.  If meteors are orbiting how
do they ever 'move on' so to speak and not become a minor, OK,
miniscule,  satellite?  And wouldn't this mean that for a meteor to land
on Earth each meteorite is the result of a bump out of orbit?  What?

Please enlighten, Bernd.  BTW, anyone on the list is invited to
straighten me out here, as Bernd is leaving for a week and may not
answer.  Any rudimentary explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Julia