Re: US DOD FIREBALL RELEASE

<<
 George and list -
     What's really sad about this is that DoD never
 released any of this to Gene Shoemaker during his lifetime (as near as
 I know).   >>
----------------
Well...The DoD released what major fireballs were detected since 1975? up
until around 1994 where it was printed in Sky and Telescope. I know that since
about 1995 the International Meteor Organization has been able to get the DoD
to look thru their data tapes when a date and time of a very bright fireball
has been provided  for possible surveillance satellite detection. They are
usually pretty good at passing along the info to the private sector, but I
suspect it gets balled up by certain individuals in the private sector in
attempts to get any first licks in if a meteorite recovery is possible. That's
my gut hunch anyways....I could be wrong.
George Zay