Re: Utah Tektites?

I think he was feeding you junk food (that was a joke :). To the best of my
knowledge of Upheaval Dome, NO tektites have been associated with it. I have
hiked it several times and found nothing. L. Alvarez (K/t Boundary super
man) claims to have found an impact breccia, however to my eyes, this is
pure speculation. I do believe UD is an impact structure based on mounds of
other evidence however.

Matt

Jim Strope wrote:

> Good Afternoon:
> I ran across a man from Pittsburgh Pa at the 1996 Denver gem and mineral
> show who was promoting a Tektite/impactite from the Upheaval Dome Meteor
> Fall.
> At the 1997 Tucson show he was actually selling some of this stuff
> carved in the shape of animals and balls(like gibeon).  He said new-age
> people could "feel" the power of the stuff when they held it.  I bought
> one of the balls because I must admit they looked cool--- kind of copper
> colored.  The raw rock was grey/copper.
> He said that the Upheaval Dome was from a Meteor Fall and this stuff was
> found only in an area some distance away in what was once a lake.
> Who knows for sure, this is just food for thought.
>  Jim
> --
>
> Museum Quality Meteorites for sale:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8125