Re: Tektite origin theories

Hello All,

Michael ended with:

"So, I was not attempting to "defend" one theory or another - only to
express concern for instances where people seem to be embracing dogma,
rather than what I consider to be science - which I see as HAVING to be
dogma free, lest it be self effacing."

As I recall, there is a group of people who believe, regardless of what
scientists tell them, that the object in their possession is an emerald
meteorite.  It seems that no amount of evidence will convince them
otherwise, and they have put forth the similar argument by attacking the
dogma of the science community.

As Neil Young puts it, "When the aimless blade of science slashed the
pearly gates, it was then I knew I'd had enough..."  I guess we all have
our limit as to what we are ready to believe from a science standpoint
before we take that existential leap and, pointyhead or not, choose to
believe more on faith and less on scientific evidence. Now, this is where
the intellectual fun begins-remember Orgueil and Mars; Allende and Phobos;
ALH84001 and life; E chondrites and Mercury; Ron in S. America; the threat
of a large terrestrial impact; and now it looks like several more tektite
issues will join those already on our conversation table. In reality,
however unfortunate, the dogma is a part of science-in-action.  Sit, stay,
good dogma.

Cheers,

Martin