Insuring meteorites during transport

Hello list readers,

The last few days I read about 1200 messages posted to this list
which had backlogged in my mailer and I am impressed with the
technical know-how. I don't have any like that.

But a few weeks ago there was some discussion about how to insure
valuable meteorites while in the mail, or in a courier's hands in
transit. One of the options was to take out additional insurance
cover through the intermediary of the courier.

I just wanted to point out there is an alternative, which might be
cheaper or provide better cover:

Any large insurance company has a division covering transport risks
- marine, overland and/or air transport. If anyone sends meteorites
through mail/courier often, it is possible to take out an open
cover policy to cover any risks in this respect. The practice is
that you pay a basic premium and declare afterwards what has been
transported, which is the basis for the final premium to be paid.

The advantages seem to me that you are in contact with a
professional insurer, do not pay the margin of the courier on the
insurance, can choose the type of cover you want exactly as you
wish and I would imagine that it might be cheaper.

For domestic sending "All Risk" (including TPND= Theft, Pilferidge
and Non-Delivery) should be enough. Depending on the political
situation in your country, that of the addressee and any in
between, you can also add: SRCC=Strikes, Riots and Civil
Commotions; as well as War Risk insurance (it does not take an
actual war to loose any aircargo due to a so-called "act of war").

I hope the above may be of help to any collectors or dealers.

Best wishes,
=Dick Gevers=

Sent by:  Dick V. Gevers; mailto:dvgevers@wxs.nl

PGPKey IDs: DH/DSS 0x73B55689; RSA 0x32501DE5 available at:
http://www.nic.surfnet.nl/pgp/pks-commands.html#extract

-------->
Message sent with Pegasus Mail - the best mailer around - suitable
for home and office. Available in MAC, DOS, 16- & 32-bit versions.
See: http://www.pegasus.usa.com/
Try it: it is free - but I hope you will buy the manual !