Re: Need Info on Ohio Meteorites

Dear Bob,

I'm just clearing my desk before my 2 weeks holiday, and your message
popped up. Attached is a list of the 9 Ohio meteorites I have in my
database. i hope the info is useful.

regards

Monica

At 13:48 13/08/98 -0500, Bob Martino wrote:
>I've been interested in meteorites for some time, but only just subscribed
>to this list.  I'm a subscriber now because a member of the public brought
>a stony meteorite to a public program at Perkins Observatory last week.  It
>passed the usual tests, and I'm in the process of sending pieces of it off
>to the Smithsonian for analysis and confirmation.
>
>To my knowledge, this will be the first meteorite discovered in Ohio in
>about 50 years.  I want to write a short article for Sky & Telescope and
>Astronomy magazines, as well as a press release for the local news media.
>The story will carry more weight if it is put in its historical context,
>however.
>
>A couple of years ago I learned of a catalog/book/data base of some sort
>which supposedly recorded all known meteorite finds and falls.  I have no
>idea now what it was called, where to obtain a copy, or how to get some
>info out of it about past Ohio meteorites.  Can anyone here help me out?

>Bob Martino                                    I look up to the heavens
>bmartino@osu.edu                               but night has clouded over
>                                               no spark of constellation
>Perkins Observatory Web site:                  no Vela no Orion
>http://www.perkins-observatory.org                                -Enya

>Bob Martino                                    I look up to the heavens
>bmartino@osu.edu                               but night has clouded over
>                                               no spark of constellation
>Perkins Observatory Web site:                  no Vela no Orion
>http://www.perkins-observatory.org                                -Enya

ohio.rtf

-----------
Dr Monica M. Grady

Head, Division of Petrology and Meteoritics
Curator, Meteorite Collection

Department of Mineralogy
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road